We love helping people find their ideal home. Over the years we’ve built up a wealth of knowledge about the process - what to do, and what not to do!
Here are our seven top tips, in no particular order, to make buying a property a successful and stress-free experience.
- Budget properly - buying a home is often more expensive than people think. Consider all costs involved including surveys, mortgage arrangement fees and legal costs.
- Know your credit score - it is worthwhile checking that your credit score is up-to-date and accurate before applying for a mortgage.
- Mortgage in Principle - if you have a mortgage in principle from a lender this, along with proof of your deposit, will get you seen as a “serious buyer”.
- Know the neighbourhood - research the areas in which you are interested in buying. Visit at different times of the day and different days of the week. Don’t be shy about asking prospective neighbours what they think of the area.
- Leasehold or Freehold - Flats or Houses? If a leasehold, how many years remain on the lease? If it is less than 80 years, think carefully about the costs involved in extending the lease. Even at 80 years you may have difficulty obtaining a mortgage.
- Choose Conveyancers with care - costs & quality of service vary greatly. At Seekers we recommend an excellent local firm, “Burtons”, they will not disappoint!
- Make friends with estate agents - by building a rapport you will often get alerted when a suitable property hits the market.